minidjvu: bitonal DjVu encoder/decoder
Latest version: 0.8
If you are curious about DjVu, visit DjVuZone
minidjvu is a command line utility which encodes and decodes single page
black-and-white DjVu files, and can compress multiple pages, taking advantage
from similarities between pages. The Windows version is supplied with a minimal
Supported bitmap formats are PBM, Windows BMP, and TIFF (through libtiff).
minidjvu is based on DjVuLibre,
which is the primary DjVu support library. Minidjvu is not going to support
all DjVu functionality; the idea is rather to take the black-and-white part
(also called JB2) and experiment with it.
0.8 is the latest release. This version has been significantly improved in terms
of stability and functionality, so that upgrading from older versions is highly recommended.
Here's the list of new features implemented and important bugs fixed in minidjvu 0.8:
- Patter matching algorithm has been adjusted to prevent some undesired substitutions
(for example, quite different shapes sometimes were unified if minidjvu could somewhow
link them with a chunk of intermediate forms).
- bugfix: specifying aggression level above 100 actually resulted in producing
- Letter averaging now works also in multipage mode.
- minidjvu now produces multipage DJVU documents (either bundled or indirect)
when processing images in the multipage mode.
- A new file naming convention for the multipage mode: pages are now generated with the
same base names as the original images, just the extension is changed to djvu.
A numerical suffix is added to the base name in case of a name clash. So the 'pattern'
parameter is gone: instead the same command line syntax is used both for single page and
- Localization via gettext (currently doesn't work under Windows) implemented and a Russian
man page added.
- Configure scripts rewritten from scratch and added to the source tree.
- The minidjvu library has been separated from the executable (once again). However under
Windows (mingw32) a single statically linked binary is generated by default.
- Multipage TIFF files now directly supported.
- The installable package for Windows is now called just "minidjvu", as all "friends" are
- Alexander Shen for introducing me to DjVu and inspiring me to do all this;
- Leon Bottou for valuable discussions;
- Guys from ru-board forum for reminding me that someone still needs DjVu.
Ilya Mezhirov (author)